No, I wasn't injured - well unless you consider my pride?? The incident occured at the YMCA in the cycle room. Among those present would be my bod bud, a few local gymrats, a couple of januaryites (you know the people that come to 2 classes and then never come back) and the instructor. The lights were off and we had just finished an intense class - God help me that instructor is going to kill me. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the instructor taught the class on a bike with no seat!! Uh huh, you heard me right - NO FREAKIN SEAT! She stood most of the class and when she absolutely had to, she sat on the bar....the chick does NOT have enough padding to accomodate sitting on a bar! I on the other hand, could probably walk around with the bar UP my butt and not notice. Okay sorry - I digress ;-p - so class is over, the lights are off and we're stretching. I'm not a huge fan of stretching simply because stretching always shows off my excess skin......raising your arms above your head causes your shirt to ride up, thus exposing the flappy pannus......there are just some things that good, god fearing, law abiding folks SHOULD NOT be exposed to......so I try to half way stretch and just lay low but today - I needed the stretch. My muscles felt shredded from the weights the night before and then our trek up, what seemed to be, Pike's Peak! So I hoist my leg up on the bike seat and proceed with my stretching.....the instructor tells us to switch out legs and I realize that my leg does not seem to be responding to the commands that my brain is giving out - like the command that says - move your self off the seat....no luck.....I think this was my bodies way of just going into an all out revolt! I finally realized that my leg wasn't moving without the assistance of my hand......I reach down and drag my leg off the seat and then it happens - NO I didn't cut the cheese, nor did my pants rip (like they did when I fell over my step in aerobics class) but what did happen was a bit horrifying......I hit my finger on the bar and off popped my fingernail (fake of course - I wasn't left with a bloody stump or anything)......I see the nail flying through the air - soaring for my buddy Jack - I thought, "oh god don't let that hit him" - obviously I didn't utter the words fast enough because as I'm watching, the nail hits him right on the lips.......now it couldn't hit him on the leg or arm - heck even on the cheek would have been better - NO - my artificial finger nail hits him right in the mouth. I thought he was going to throw up - hell I thought I was going to throw up.......I wanted to crawl under the bike but realized, rather quickly, that the seat wasn't big enough to provide ample cover. Theresa runs over to see what has hit our good buddy Jack, only to announce to the whole class "it's a finger???nail????".......she picks it up and starts waving it around trying to find out who the owner was. I finally confessed after realizing that she wasn't going to let it go. Seems that she was under the impression that the nail salon would give me some sort of refund if I brought the nail back in......geez, it's not like a coke bottle or something!
Jack took it all in stride - after the inital shock of being struck by a fellow cyclist! He said it was a first for him - I'm hoping it's a last for me. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone else experiences these hazards while exercising??
Speaking of GYM - I've decided not to see or speak to him today. We need a cooling off period and I need a break. Man he is like a maniac and just can't seem to get enough of me........he's worn me out this week. So tonight, I'm going to get my nails done (see above for why) and try to complete some tasks around the house......you know stripping beds, laundry, cleaning the bathroom. I sure wish that I could say I was going to actually relax but there's no time for that!
HUGS to you all and have a great weekend!